We are moving!!! Same Fun, Crafts, and Recipes, but a new and official web address! Come check out what is new at...


FunOnaDime.net



See you there!

My Favorite Playdough




This is my favorite playdough recipe. It is really easy to work with and best of all it doesn't smell like salt playdough. I can not stand the smell and texture of other salt dough recipes I have worked with. I love the idea of adding a little scented oil. The first time I made it, I didn't have any scented oil, so I used Mint Extract and that worked pretty good, too. Another time I made it, I used jello which also made it smell good, but it didn't allow you to be as creative with the coloring.

This recipe should make enough for 1 child or equivalent to 2 "Play-doh" containers. I made a double recipe for the pictures and I let me son help with everything, but the actual cooking portion.


Needed:
  • 1 Cup Warm Water
  • 1 Cup Flour
  • 1/2 Cup Salt
  • 4 teaspoons Vegetable Oil
  • 2 teaspoons Cream of Tarter
  • Food Coloring
  • (Optional) Scented Oil of Choice
Other alternatives: use a small box of Jello instead of Food Coloring and Scented Oil


Directions:

Combine all the ingredients in a pan and stir together. (hint: I would add the water first and then everything else so the powder ingredients are not stuck to the side of the pan.) Cook on a medium heat on the stove, stirring regularly until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the pan. Keep cooking it until then, it will begin to not stick to the sides, so be patient. Once the dough is doing this, remove it from the pan and place on a hard surface.


It will be really warm, so an adult may have to do the initial kneading. This is when you will add the food coloring, if you didn't use the Jello. I put plastic sandwich bags on the kids hands and once I worked the food coloring in a couple kneads then I let the kids do the rest. The plastic bags kept the kids hands from getting colored. Knead the color in well and then have fun! Store in an air tight container. If it gets dry at all, add a little water and knead it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally going to do this. Way cheaper than buying playdoh!

    ReplyDelete

 

Site design by Fabulous K Creative | Powered by Blogger